Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:12:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        matthew@wolfepub.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Protecting data in memory

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> > Is there any way to protect a programs memory space from all users, even
> > root?
>
> No.  root always has access to all memory space.  Consider: If it were
> otherwise, root could just patch the kernel and gain whatever access
> was needed.

On the contrary.  This is the purpose of securelevels and read-only
files/file-systems.  UID != supervisor mode access to the machine, and
should not be equal to.  Currently, indeed, there are many loopholes in
the securelevel mechanism, but it is a worthwhile goal.  I'd rather not
have to completely scrap machines when they are compromised -- rather,
know I have a trusted kernel and root file system, and just reinstall
application-land.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/