Date:      Wed, 08 Jul 1998 18:46:02 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
To:        Allan Alford <aa@thinkwell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old EGA Video Card & Monitor

Allan Alford wrote:

> > You could well be right. But I can't even get the system to enter it's
> > BIOS setup program, so I have no way to change this setting even if
> > that's the problem. Another -hardware list member suggested that the
> > BIOS setup program may use a VGA font, and that might prevent the setup
> > program being used on EGA hardware.
>
> There is a faint possibility of that, but I have set up fairly modern
> systems with Hercules mono cards/monitors when I was desparate.  System
> fonts usually don't assume vga/ega/etc.  You have a menu option on AMIBIOS
> to tell it what kind of graphics you have, and you couldn't well toggle
> through those options if you can't see the font in the first place.

You're right, I'm going to try an SVGA monitor/card back into the system
to rule out that hardware from causing the problem.

> > What would happen if I booted the machine with no drives? i.e. With
> > nothing but a keyboard and video card/monitor? Would the machine enter
> > its BIOS setup program OK? These questions may be BIOS specific so my
> > BIOS is a AMIBIOS 1992 Version 1.00.03.BS0T
>
> This it totally doable.  Are you getting any keyboard errors, btw?  That
> might explain the lack of F1 functionality as well.

Nope. The keyboard is the original PS/2 GW2k that came with the system
when it was new. It works on other systems and the BIOS seems to
recognise it's presence when it's plugged in.

--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
http://www.boothman.easynet.co.uk/andrew/