Date:      06 Jan 2003 06:23:12 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Tom Parquette <bcsfd204@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error message trying to set up sound card

Hi Tom,

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 01:47, Tom Parquette wrote:
> Stacey Roberts wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 21:22, Tom Parquette wrote:
> >

> >>I'm following the Handbook instructions trying to set up a sound card.
> >>At boot, I get the following messages.
> >>
> >>pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> irq 10 at device 6.0 on pci2
> >>pcm0: unable to map register space
> >>devide_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

<snipped>

> >You might want to check for the following (presuming that you're not
> >actually running -CURRENT):-
> >
> >1] That there are no IRQ conflicts with this device
> >2] Make sure that the P 'n P OS option in the BIOS is disabled
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Stacey

<sniped>

> #1 This is FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE
> #2 I've been looking at the motherboard's manual, and the BIOS setup,
> and there does not appear to be a way to turn off PNP OS.  This is a
> Tyan Thunder K7X.

I presume that this is the MoBo:
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7x.html

I use Tyan dual boards, but only for Intel. I would have thought that
Tyan would keep the format of their documentation straight regardless of
AMD / Intel arch.

Please have another look through the manual, just in case we're missing
something in our haste:-)

I noted this at the Tyan site:
Expansion Slots
  One AGP Pro slot; also supports 4x AGP
  One 64-bit 66MHz (3.3-volt) PCI  slot
  One 64-bit 66MHz (5-volt) PCI slot
  Three 32-bit 33MHz (5-Volt) PCI slots
  Total of six usable slots

Now I see no mention of an integrated sound card, so I presume that
you've inserted a PCI card.
I neglected to ask, but exactly what model sound card is it?
Which slot is the card installed to?

Check the card docs to see if it matches any of the requirements of the
available slots as described here.

Regards,

Stacey

> I did try clearing the ESCD data but that did not seem to help.
>
> Thanks folks...

Stacey Roberts
B.Sc (HONS) Computer Science

Web: www.vickiandstacey.com