Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:12:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speedup idea for 'make world'

> Another thing.  Why are we bothering with the depend step when we're
> going to end up blowing away the stuff anyway.  Especially considering
> that 'make depend all' doesn't work like it implies.  As has been said,
> if we want to actually use the .depend file, it should read 'make depend
> && make all'.
>
> More thoughts...

It's been bugging me that make world does far more than is needed most
of the time. It would be nice if the dependencies worked during the
early stages so that the tools were only built if they'd actually been
changed.

Then again, it would be nice if dependencies just worked full stop :-)

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155