Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:41:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe Groff <ognir@humboldt1.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Joystick driver?

I believe the joystick driver in FreeBSD could probably be redone, to support
all the non-standard joysticks that many people (like me :) have. Having
just recently converted to FreeBSD from Linux, though, I don't know the best
way to go about it. Here are some ideas (sorry if my terminology is wrong):

(1) Redefine the core joystick code as a controller, and then have all the
    different joystick types ride on top of it, like:

controller      joy0    at isa? port IO_GAME # Serves joystick port 0x201
#device         jan0    at joy0 # Analog joystick
device          jgpp0   at joy0 # Gravis GamePad Pro
etc...
    This would also allow for modules to be used for all the different joystick
    types, I think.

(2) Have a monolithic joystick driver, with options to pick the proper type:

device          joy0    at isa? port IO_GAME # Just like it is now
options         JOY_ANALOG
options         JOY_GRAVIS
etc...

I also believe it should use the Linux joystick's device interface, so that
folks that have already written their games to use the Linux joysticks can work
in FreeBSD with minor effort.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

-Joe