Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:26:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        keithj@iafrica.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (Fwd) Some simple questions

These questions are basic Unix System Admin type questions.  Most of
the answers are in the book "Unix System Administration Handbook" by
Nemeth, et.al.  The answers are also in the man pages.  From these
questions, you may benefit from reading an introductory-level book on
using a Unix system, and definitely from reading the "Unix System
Administration Handbook" I will try to point out where I see the
answers online.  The man pages also list pointers to more information.
Following these links is frequently helpful.

>1. What is the essential  difference between the following files
>     .cshrc
>     .login
>     .profile

>From 'man csh'
     An instance of csh begins by executing commands from the file
     /etc/csh.cshrc and, if this is a login shell, /etc/csh.login. It then ex-
     ecutes commands from .cshrc in the home directory of the invoker, and, if
     this is a login shell, the file .login in the same location.  It is typi-
     cal for users on crt's to put the command ``stty crt'' in their .login
     file, and to also invoke tset(1) there.
>From 'man sh'
     A login shell first reads commands from the files /etc/profile
     and .profile if they exist.

>2. How do I set things up to use bash or bash2 as my shell

look at 'man chsh', 'man passwd', or 'man login'.  Follow the links
from these man pages for information on how this all works.

>3. How do I implement the use of  fvwm2 as my x-windows  manager

look at 'man xinit'.  This should lead you to ~/.xinitrc.  The window
manager is set there.  You may see something like 'wmgr=twm' in the
middle of the file and 'exec $wmgr' at the end of the file. 'exec
$wmgr' should be the last line in ~/.xinitrc.  Look at things like
'man X' look at 'man aaaa', where aaaa is some of the files in
something like /usr/X11R6/man/man1.  The exact path depends on how
your system is setup.

>4. What is the meaning of this message ?
>    "Warning : imported path contains relative components."

The path passed thru a 'su' contains elements that do not start with
'/'.  The danger of this is that commands in the tree relative to the
current directory may be executed with root privileges.

>5. How do I change the hostname on the machine.

several ways. But, be careful!  Be sure you want to.

  Look at 'man hostname'

try

  cd /etc
  grep <hostname> *
  edit the related files, changing the host name.