Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 00:50:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rcarter@consys.com, nate@mt.sri.com, shimon@simon-shapiro.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnu/usr.bin/cvs/libdiff

> > familiar to pure software engineers.  As far as a product goes,
> > an operating system is peanuts compared to something like
> > a ship, say.  Or even a car, these days.  Somehow, those get
> > built.
>
> W/out any user intevention?  Amazing how it requires users to build
> them, isn't it?  Yes, it *could* all be automated, but the 'resources'
> required to do it is greater than requiring humans doing the work.  Now,
> in a weird twist of fate, that is exactly the same thing I said.

Actually, the factory where NeXT machines were built was sufficiently
automated that it could produce 30,000 units a month, and required
only two people to run it.  It is currently still used to make laser
printers.

> ps. Yes, given enough time and resources, anything can be automated.
> But, the end result may be more expensive than is worthwhile.  Now, I
> wouldn't have any ideas on that given that I work for one of the three
> largest R&D companies in the world, who come up with all sort of
> wonderful (and often times quite expensive) solutions to existing and
> some non-existant problems. :)

The easiet fix would be to have .depend depn on Makefile, wouldn't it?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.