Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:17:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        paul@originative.co.uk (Paul Richards), Doug@gorean.org (Doug Barton), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

> >It's interesting to draw the analogy with Linux and UNIX. Almost
> >everything that's derived from Linux is called Linux, which creates a
> >large installed base of Linux systems even though they all differ in the
> >details.
>
> Exactly. What's more, there are Linux-related companies such as LinuxCare
> and VA Linux. Walnut Creek is the ONLY company which has been allowed
> to start an enterprise -- FreeBSDMall.com -- which uses the FreeBSD
> name. Others should be allowed to do so as well.

Frankly, I find this argument unconvincing.

I realize that Linux has used the unity of the idea of "Linux
is not a distribution" in order to effectively "Cross the Chasm",
as Geoffrey Moore of Regis McKenna, Inc., has succinctly put it.

But do not forget that in his book, "Crossing the Chasm", and
again in his book "Inside the Tornado", and in general, in the
apparent public philosophy of Regis McKenna, Inc., and other
high technology public relations and marketing firms that are
not as famous as they are in Silicon Valley, there is only one
"Chasm Crossing" per stregy, and each new attempt must use a
strategy different from that of its competitors.

The BSDI press release on the merger emphasizes brand unification,
as did Jordan at the last BAFUG (Bay Area FreeBSD Users Group)
meeting.  I don't think brand unification will be enough to cause
BSD to "Cross the Chasm" to commercial profitability between the
"Early Adopters" and the "Early Majority".

There are issues of brand involved here, but I don't think it's
safe to claim, like BSDI, Brett, Jordan, and Paul, that brand
divisiveness caused by forking caused by a trademark usage
policy, is necessarily the only obstacle to a "Chasm Crossing".

Certainly, people could profit greatly from another FreeBSD
distribution, which disdained the current installer, and provided
a replacement.  I think this could be accomplished with a two
CDROM set, one a FreeBSD disk image, unchanged, and another
with the installer, a FreeBSD kernel, etc., all bootable, called
"The Install Disk", or even with a single DVDROM -- though the
mass market for that isn't there yet.

And I agree that, like the RPM (Red Hat Package Manager) package
format, which has been adopted by almost all Linux distributions
as at least an "also ran", a new install system that could probably
not get in through the commit filter otherwise, could find itself
the standard for a more user-friendly FreeBSD installation tool,
if, like RPM, it were allowed to compete without having to change
the brand name.

But this all begs the point of overall market strategy for the
FreeBSD project itself, and whether the project itself even has
the will or desire to "Cross the Chasm", or, as stated above,
mere brand unity would even be a factor, one way or the other,
as much marketing and public relations talent in the Silicon
Valley claims it would not.

There are a lot of fine engineers here, but there are not a lot
of fine marketers, and certainly no great ones, or new PC-grade
hardware would be shipping with "BSD 2000", or its moral
equivalent, not "Windows 2000", and not Red Hat Linux.  An attempt
on the chasm will require fine marketing, and it's likely that
the FreeBSD community as it currently stands will not tolerate
sufficient "dumbing down" for consumerism for that to ever happen.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.