Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:10:35 +0200
From:      Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, walton@nordicrecords.com
Subject:   Re: Berkeley removes Advertising Clause

Alfred Perlstein writes:

> No need for sarcasm, the GPL makes it impossible for commercial companies
> to incorperate GPL'd code into a propriatary product.  This kills the
> competative advantage the company has.

	There, you said it: "makes it impossible for commercial companies" --
	that assumes a certain definition of "commercial companies", and
	to what extent it's "impossible" for them.  In the traditional
	approach of protecting a trade-secret, maybe.  But I like
	people to explain things instead of repeating them like lemmings.

> You may think of it as a good thing (forcing source disclosure),
> but it's not the only way to get the results you want.

	I'm neutral to the GPL: I don't use it, but if it fits someone's
	purpose, good for them.  I don't like people who aggressively
	promote it as the One True License either.  But the license
	in itself is not evil.  Just a choice, that people should
	consider CAREFULLY before making it.

	There was a very good interview (in one Login of L. Peter Deutsch about
	his writing Ghostscript, and why he regretted using the GPL).

> Although many companies play the GPL game, this sort of symbiotic
> relationship would not be possible under the GPL and it makes for
> a much more attractive codebase.

	I don't know about "not possible" -- more difficult in
	a very competitive envrionment, maybe.

--
Division by Zero error -- multiplying by zero to recover.