Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2017 13:52:35 +0000
From:      Shivansh Rai <shivansh@freebsd.org>
To:        "soc-status@freebsd.org" <soc-status@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>,  "Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya)" <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Subject:   [GSOC17] Smoke testing of all base utilities - Week 8

Hello all,

I would have sent the progress report yesterday, but I was stuck on
figuring out a segfault which was finally fixed today [1]. (I need to get
back using gdb again).

This is the progress made in this week -
Summary of updates to the automation tool since last progress report [2].

I have made a new repository for collecting generated tests [3] which
currently contains 57 (+/- 5) tests for utilities randomly selected from
section 1 via the script "fetch_groff.sh" [4]. This repo will be updated
with all the generated tests in future. Currently some of these tests are
machine dependent, but after I implement the functionality to automate test
runs [5] (and hence generate annotations), these testcases will go away.

Generating these tests have made me come across many new cases (which was
the intended purpose) which can be looked up in the issues which I keep
marking (and fixing) [6].

Also, earlier all the options were not being properly parsed from the groff
scripts, and with this fix [7] I was able to generate a few more testcases
for the demo tests. Will reflect the updates via these in the test repo
soon.

Quoting an earlier mail regarding my current involvements which I
previously shared with mentors -
I am currently working on a functionality to stop execution of tests which
hang after a certain duration (I am using boost::thread for the purpose)
[8]. This will be helpful in generating a large number of tests without
halting on failure while generating a single test. Although the problem is
that after successful compilation, the execution step ends up giving a
segmentation fault when I use boost libraries. I suspect the problem is due
to improper linking of object files (inclusion of improper boost libs in
Makefile) or probably I am not using proper compilation flags ; so trying
figuring it out (experimenting with boost for the first time).

[1]:
https://github.com/shivansh/smoketestsuite/commit/878006372203304899da7d767efaeb2635a394b8#diff-8e67877206f06d959fc79bf00d0182a9R98
[2]: https://github.com/shivrai/smoketestsuite/compare/12d88b...efc325
[3]: https://github.com/shivansh/smoketests