Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:34:37 +0200
From:      CZUCZY Gergely <phoemix@harmless.hu>
To:        mike <mike503@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

--Sig_/pYI3C4R6H+uUIwRHhliBjAt

This is the kmem_size overstep issue I'm mostly talking about. No matter how
much you tune your system, the chance of a kernel panic due to kmem_size is=
 too
small remains. And the time will come, and you will have a random reboot du=
ring
the backup procedure. It ofcourse happens when ZFS is in use :)

So, in my humble opinion you're better off with (open)solaris for now.

le
on amd64 by some VM patching, i don't quite remember the details...

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 01:31:25 -0700
mike <mike503@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/8/08, CZUCZY Gergely <phoemix@harmless.hu> wrote:
>=20
> > Regardless of this, the system worked quite well. If ZFS were stable, t=
his
> > easily could be our backup system. ZFS is great, awesome, but a bit
> > unreliable on FreeBSD, still needs some work.
>=20
> Really? I thought ZFS for basic things was not too bad in FBSD now.
>=20
> By basic I mean simple filesystem creation, snapshots and normal
> devices. Not some crazy SAN LUNs and weird volume management stuff.
>=20
> I would really love to use FBSD as opposed to a Solaris derivative,
> since I know nothing about them and I'd have to dedicate a machine for
> it at home. Hrm. I wonder if I could just get by running a Solaris
> derivative inside of a VM in VMware or something.

--=20
=C3=9Cdv=C3=B6lettel,

Czuczy Gergely
Harmless Digital Bt