Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2014 17:14:53 +0200
From:      Yamagi Burmeister <lists@yamagi.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   shutdown(8) not working after upgrade to 10.1-BETA3

Hello,
I've updated my system from 10.0-RELEASE to 10.1-BETA3. The exakt
version is:

FreeBSD happy.home.yamagi.org 10.1-BETA3 FreeBSD 10.1-BETA3 #0 r272260:
Sun Sep 28 19:35:56 CEST 2014
root@happy.home.yamagi.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

For some strange reasons shutdown(8) is no longer working for me. I
type "shutdown -p now" into a virtual console. getty(8) exists on
that console, but stays alive on any other consoles. After that nothing
happens, the system continues to run like nothing ever happened. I'm
able to login into another virtual console or via SSH, can start X.org
and continue with my work.

In contrast to that "halt -p" is working fine. The system shuts down
immediately and the power is turned off.

After typing "shutdown -p now" (while the shutdown process is hanging)
"procstat -k 1" gives:

1 100002 init - mi_switch sleepq_catch_signals sleepq_wait_sig
_cv_wait_sig ttydev_leave ttydev_close devfs_close VOP_CLOSE_APV vgonel
vgone devfs_revoke VOP_REVOKE_APV sys_revoke amd64_syscall Xfast_syscall

Looks to me that init(8) waits on a some tty to close. Which apparently
never happens. A similar case was reported here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-July/079159.html

I wonder if I'm the only one seeing this. If necessary further data can
be provided.

Regards,
Yamagi

--