Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 14:32:17 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: variable sized arrays and gcc

> Okay, maybe I haven't been paying attention, but this is the first
> time I've ever noticed that gcc would let you do this. Personally,
> I think it's damn strange, especially since _no_ other C compiler I
> can find behaves the same way.

gcc has been doing variable sized arrays for some time.  RTFM; it has
a section on this and many other non-ANSI GCC features which can make
life *much* easier (including things such as a no-side-effect,
any-type-argument version of MIN and MAX, printf-style argument
checking, etc, etc).

> If it's a feature, I don't think it's a particularly good one since
> it encourages the use of non-ANSI (and apparently non-portable)
> code.

Well, in most situations it can be handled portably nearly as easily.
But not always.  The real question is, what are your priorities?  If
you are writing an internal program, that is never going to leave your
company's walls, use every compiler trick and OS trick you know.  If
you are writing for FreeBSD, I see no problem using extentions common
to both gcc and pcc.  (inline, for instance.)  But if you are writing
a new version of empire, then it's time to use malloc.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Second law of programming: