Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:42:29 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Jeff Walters <jeff@walters.name>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD logo...

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 03:36:11PM -0400, Jeff Walters wrote:

> I agree that usage of FreeBSD is most likely not going to harm your soul, but
> regardless of the origins of the misperceptions, it's clearly doesn't add to
> positive PR of FreeBSD.  Definition 1(a) of "demon" in Merriam-Webster is "an
> evil spirit".  (See www.m-w.com)  Definition 2 is the FreeBSD definition, "an
> attendant power or spirit".

Webster's says different though:

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Demon \De"mon\, n. [F. d['e]mon, L. daemon a spirit, an evil
     spirit, fr. Gr. ? a divinity; of uncertain origin.]
     1. (Gr. Antiq.) A spirit, or immaterial being, holding a
        middle place between men and deities in pagan mythology.

              The demon kind is of an intermediate nature between
              the divine and the human.             --Sydenham.

     2. One's genius; a tutelary spirit or internal voice; as, the
        demon of Socrates. [Often written {d[ae]mon}.]

     3. An evil spirit; a devil.

              That same demon that hath gulled thee thus. --Shak

Ceri