Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:27:14 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Sean Bruno <seanbru@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kpanic on install >32GB of RAM

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 09:04:53AM -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> So, trying to get a massively overpowered HP box up with 7.3 amd64
> version up and running.
>
> I can't tell at the moment, but it looks like the installer kernel is
> having issues with >32GB of RAM in this box.
>
> Are we using the i386 kernel on amd64 installs?

If you booted a FreeBSD image that has "amd64" in the ISO name, then the
kernel is actually 64-bit (amd64).  The only i386 piece would be the
bootloader.

There's probably someone here who can help with the issue you describe,
as there's occasional posts here and there from people who experience
issues/problems when using very large amounts of RAM.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |