Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 06:46:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu, jbaxter@mmcable.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse on drugs

>From: dochawk@psu.edu
>Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:38:55 -0400

>> freebsd 4.3-stable
>> touchpad ps/2 mouse
>> moused is running
>> sysmouse used in X86Free

>> after using my mouse for a while (any time between 1 and 10 min), it
>> freaks out.. jumps wildly and cust and pastes and open windows... all
>> kinds of weird things.

>which xfree? the mouse daemon and Xfree4 don't get along well--set
>XFree to talk directly to /dev/psaux, and disable moused.

That has not been my experience.

I'm running XF86-4.0.3 on my laptop (under both FreeBSD 4.3-S & 5.0-C).
I use moused, because I was hoping that the "touchpad tap" would be
distinguishable from pressing & releasing the let mouse button, in which
case I would be able to use moused's re-mapping abilities to actually
get access to 3 mouse buttons without resorting to chording.
(Unfortunately, it appears that the driver sees the actions as
equivalent, which makes it pretty hard to distinguish between them --
but that's not the topic of this thread.)

In any case, I've certainly seen no odd behavior of the mouse at all
(other than that apparently designed-in flaw).

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.