Date:      Sun, 28 May 2017 00:09:09 +0200
From:      Kamil Czekirda <kczekirda@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, Mariusz Zaborski <oshogbo@freebsd.org>,  Steven Hartland <smh@freebsd.org>, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@freebsd.org>, Toomas Soome <tsoome@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r314948 - in head: lib/libstand sys/boot/i386/libi386

> [...]
> > >
> > >   Submitted by:     kczekirda
> > >   Sponsored by:     Oktawave
> > >   Initiated by:     Matthew Dillon
> > >   Reviewed by:      smh, gnn, bapt, oshogbo
> > >   MFC after:        3 weeks
> > >   Differential Revision:    https://reviews.freebsd.org/D9847
> >
> > Sorry for being late to the party, but this being head hopefully not too
> late.
> >
> > I am not sure that I agree with the spirit of this change.
>
> I just figured out it also breaks chainloading with ipxe (like qemu does)
> and it
> does not request the rootpath if not passed to the ipxe first.
>
> I'm now really thinking the our loader deserves its own DHCP value.
>
> We should also give it some tags so people can provide it the information
> they
> want depending on the tags (like hey this is the fbsd loader give it that
> rootpath).
>

> > There are network boot setups that do depend on the "unnecessary" DHCP
> request
> > from pxeboot.  For example, a DHCP server could be configured to return a
> > different set of parameters depending on a particular PXE client.  I
> personally
> > use a configuration where the DCHP server sends a boot menu[*] to a PXE
> client
> > that's built into network cards.  If a FreeBSD boot is selected and
> pxeboot is
> > started, then the server sends parameters required for the FreeBSD boot
> > (root-path, etc) in response to the request from pxeboot.
> > I don't see how I can keep that working after this change.
> >
> > Additionally, as far as I can tell, we only get cached
> > PXENV_PACKET_TYPE_BINL_REPLY.  This might cause a problem in
> environments where
> > a separate PXE server (Proxy DHCP) is used.  In that case the reply
> might not
> > have the network configuration information which would actually be in
> > PXENV_PACKET_TYPE_DHCP_ACK.
> > An example of such a setup is described here:
> > https://n0dy.com/blog/2014/09/14/network-booting-with-
> dnsmasq-in-proxy-mode/
> > Using a separate PXE server is not uncommon in corporate environments
> too.
> >
> > In general, I think that the change was not thought through to cover
> scenarios
> > beyond the basic unattended, FreeBSD-only, single DHCP server network
> boots.
> > That scenario is, of course, very common, but it is not the only one.
> >
> > At minimum, I would like to have a compile time option to control whether
> > pxeboot should send a DHCP request of its own or rely entirely on the
> cached
> > information.  Or maybe pxeboot could be smart enough to do the former if
> the
> > cached reply is missing some required information like the root-path.
> > Right now, there is no bootp(BOOTP_PXE) under any conditions.

In initial revision I noticed, that I'm not sure it should be default
behavior. In a lot of installations pxeloader can base on the cache and
doesn't require second, full request with the same answer. In that
situation we can switch off bootp() and I think it would be nice to have
this switch and give them to users. Flag during compilation is sensible.

In very simple and popular case we have chain with four requests for the
same information (!):
PXE (NIC) -> iPXE -> pxeloader -> dhclient
and it's possible to switch off request from iPXE and pxeloader without
breaking boot process.

Kamil