Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:31:02 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed code: automatic setting of hostname from MAC address

> > Right.  It allows you to use the a custom configuration file that will
> > allow you to configure multiple machines with the same configuration
> > file, right?
> >
> > I don't like it because it's non-standard, and uses a completely
> > non-standard configuration file.
>
> I frankly don't understand your objection. I am just proposing to
> add a few shell functions in the default scripts that users may
> decide to use if they like to, or just stick to the existing
> code.
>
> Why do you define it "non standard", and call "not standard"
> the config files ?
> + yes, in the picobsd version the MAC<->hostname mapping was in
> /etc/hosts, but this will be moved to /etc/ethers which is the
> standard place for this stuff;

/etc/ethers is for determining a network mask, not for determining a
host's IP address.  Using it otherwise is non-standard.

> + the use of a "case ${hostname} .." in rc.conf is, yes, "non standard",
>   but you don't have to use it, and as a matter of fact it is what lets
>   you handle the "slightly different configuration" for each machine
>   in a centralised place.

/etc/rc.conf *is* the method for configuring each machine.  You're
changing what was previously a machine-specific file into a
machine-independant file, totally changing the way things are done.  (In
a more confusing/less flexible way I might add.)

> > However, I don't have a better solution.  What I did was rip out all of
> > the code in my PicoBSD builds to use the stock 'rc.conf' stuff, and then
> > I add a customized rc.conf for each different machine I build (by hand)
> > that contains that machine's configuration.  However, in my case, each
> > machine has a slightly different configuration, so I need something more
> > than a different ifconfig line, so my situation is obviously different
> > than yours.

Just because something is useful doesn't mean it should be added to
FreeBSD.  I believe your solution has very limited usefulness beyond
your particular situation, and as such, shouldn't be added to FreeBSD.

Nate