Date:      Wed, 25 May 2005 08:32:34 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.org>
To:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Subject:   Re: 3 things working in -STABLE and not in -CURRENT

On 25/05/2005, at 2:03, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2005 07:57:34 +0200, S=F8ren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On 24/05/2005, at 7:29, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>>

>>> I've been corresponding with Soren about a very similar problem.  My
>>> DVD writer on ata1-master is not being recognized.  Instead, my
>>> CD-RW on ata1-slave is being configured as acd0.  I've been doing
>>> daily upgrades (amd64), but still to no avail, and Soren seems to be
>>> stumped as well.
>>>

>> I don't think this is the same problem, yours seem to be interaction
>> between the two drives that somehow makes the probe barf...
>>

> I've tried your suggestion, enabling/disabling each device (in the =20
> BIOS)
> and rebooting.  I even completely disconnected the power to the box
> for a minute, just in case something had gotten "stuck" in some weird
> state.  But no matter what I do, even with the ata1-slave device =20
> marked
> as "Not installed" in the BIOS, it keeps getting configured as acd0.

I told you to try *physically* disconnecting each drive and boot with =20=

that, fiddling the BIOS doesn't do anything but keep the device out =20
of the BIOS tables. Then boot with each device verbosely and send me =20
the boot logs / dmesg.

> Is there any way to gather some more verbose diagnostics, besides a
> simple "boot -v"?  So far, atacontrol and pciconf haven't proved to be
> very useful at all.  Are there any other tools, in the base system =20
> or in
> ports, that may shed some more light on what's happening here?

The tools are make, gcc etc and are in the base system :)
You need to instrument the code and figure out what's going on during =20=

the probe.
Thats why its very handy to have hands on the HW when doing debugging =20=

of such issues.

> I think for now I may just revert to RELENG_5 and see what happens.
> The irony of the situation is that I had only just recently really
> started "getting into" using my DVD drive, and it really hurts now =20
> to be
> without it. :-(
>
> I do hope this problem will not continue to plague me through future
> FreeBSD releases.  If so, that may leave me no choice but to switch to
> another OS entirely, which I would *really* hate to have to do, as =20
> I've
> been using FreeBSD for nine years now, and have really come to love =20=

> it.
> Switching to a whole new OS at this point (even another BSD) would not
> only sadden me greatly, but I downright shudder at the prospect of
> having to come to grips with what I could only rightly consider an
> inferior platform, as FreeBSD is definitely the best in my book.

How should I interpret that  exactly ?
If you have been using FreeBSD for 9 years you must have been =20
suffering a lot worse problems than this..

And BTW I don't react well to threats if that was the purpose :)

> Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.  Things
> generally have a tendency to work themselves out eventually.  I just
> wish it would be sooner rather than later.  :-)

- S=F8ren