Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:14:01 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?=C5=81ukasz_Jakub_Siemiradzki?= <lukasz@siemiradzcy.pl>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, Melvyn Sopacua <melvyn@magemana.nl>, Jason Helfman <jgh@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal for Authors / Vendors in ports

Dnia 14 lis 2013 o godz. 15:33 Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> napisa=C5=
=82(a):

> Jason Helfman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Erwin Lansing<erwin@freebsd.org>  wrote=
:
>=20
> [...]
>=20
>>> That sounds like an excellent idea.  I'm just a bit worried about
>>> spreading the information over too many places, and would rather split
>>> content from logic and add these to pkg-descr as well next to the
>>> current WWW.  I know we're not consistent already with things like
>>> COMMENT and LICENSE already in the Makefile, so won't ojbect too much to=

>>> where these end up.
>>>=20
>>> Erwin
>>>=20
>>=20
>> With good ideas usually bloat is not too far behind. I think this is a
>> great idea, however I think it would be
>> worth considering a potential new file for this, that can be parsed witho=
ut
>> causing too much new data in existing
>> files. Perhaps, a file named pkg-vendor. In this file, all sorts of
>> information can be places, and parsed or used
>> by our package infrastructure.
>>=20
>> -jgh
>=20
> I don't think the new file is a good idea. It means more than 20 000 more f=
iles in /usr/ports, so all fs related operations will be slower (svn checkou=
t, portsnap updated and extract or even ports.tar.gz extract)
> And more space will be wasted just for a few new short lines of text (abou=
t 4kB for each file of size in tens of bytes)
>=20
> Miroslav Lachman

A new file in /usr/ports with mappings port -> meta information, rather than=
 one file per port. That was my initial understanding. There are drawbacks o=
f that (synchronization between tree and file) but it seems to be better tha=
n one file per port.=20

Best regards
=C5=81ukasz Siemiradzki=