Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:44:33 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@freebsd.org>
To:        alfred@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   system vimrc madness

> r372654 | alfred | 2014-11-16 23:55:10 +0100 (Sun, 16 Nov 2014) | 4 lines

> Use vimrc from distribution.

> Suggested by: many.

There are significant problems with copying the *sample* vimrc to be used as
the system vimrc.

First of all, there is no way to disable reading it;  even when ~/.vimrc is
present, the system vimrc is still read - in that order, so ~/.vimrc cannot
disable the loading of the system one;  the only thing it can do is to undo
the effects of system vimrc.

I can immediately name three things which bit me after this change, but I
cannot be positive there are not more:

:set backup
:set undofile
:set mouse='a'

The first two lead crap the filesystem with filename~ and filename.un~;
if people want those, they can (and probably already done so) enable that in
their ~/.vimrc.

The third leads to not operational primary clipboard selection with mouse,
at least in the case "xterm on linux -> ssh to freebsd -> vim", maybe more.

The system vimrc should be as unobtrusive as possible.  I think if we copy
something like this (https://github.com/tpope/vim-sensible), or a subset of
it, it will not cause any problems and provide some value.

Cheers,
\Anton.
--
Our society can survive even a large amount of irrational regulation.
  -- John McCarthy