Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:10:54 +1000
From:      richo <richo@psych0tik.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick@centurytel.net>
Subject:   Re: Cannot build or install Nessus on FreeBSD 9-beta2

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

I don't think this is relevant to the -security list.

If you've only wasted a few hours since posting the exact same thing to
-questions, I think maybe your list etiquette needs reexamination.

--
richo

On 26/09/11 19:39 -0500, Michael D. Norwick wrote:
>Good Day;
>
>I am trying to install Nessus on a Dell Latitude laptop running=20
>FreeBSD 9-beta2.  /usr/ports was updated around 09/20/2011 and the=20
>current source for the kernel and world were csup'd late last week. =20
>I have built a new kernel with debugging disabled to reduce the noise=20
>to the terminal.  I have - device  bpf - uncommented in the config=20
>file and I commented out unneeded device drivers.  I built a new=20
>world yesterday.  The build and install went without error.
>
>I started this thread on freebsd-questions this morning;
>
>Re: Trying to build nessus 4 from ports
>
>When trying to install the binary downloaded from tenable.com -=20
>Nessus-4.4.1-fbsd8-amd64.tbz using pkg_add it says I need to enable=20
>more bpf devices.  Deleting the package then attempting to install=20
>from /usr/ports/security/nessus results in a successful build but=20
>when nessusd is started it errors out on 'libz.so.5 not found'. =20
>FreeBSD 9 is at libz.so.6.
>
>I really like FreeBSD 9 on this machine but I have a work project=20
>that involves port scanning, intrusion detection and forensics.  That=20
>is why I am attempting to get Nessus working.  I would like the=20
>company to purchase Nessus for business but I have to get it working=20
>on my test network first.  I am trying to follow Mr. Richard=20
>Bejtlich's book 'The Tao of Network Security Monitoring'.  Maybe I=20
>need to fall back to FreeBSD 8.2 in order to be successful?  Are=20
>there other security tools which build without error on FreeBSD 9?
>
>Thank You
>
>Michael

--=20
richo || Today's excuse:=20

electromagnetic radiation from satellite debris

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--