Date:      19 Mar 2002 01:18:15 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        bugbusters@freebsd.org
Subject:   PR state revision

In light of the controversy and confusion that reign over the precise
meaning of the "feedback" state, I would like to suggest the following
revision of the Gnats states:

  open          Default state for a new problem report.

  analyzed      The problem is understood and a solution is being sought.

  suspended     Work on this PR has been suspended due to lack of
                information or resources.

  feedback      Further work requires additional information from the
                originator or the community - possibly confirmation of
                the effectiveness of a proposed solution.

  patched       Patch has been committed, but some issues (MFC and / or
                confirmation from originator) are still open.

  closed        PR has been resolved or abandoned.

The most significant change is the addition of the "patched" state,
and the ensuing disambiguation of the "feedback" state.  I would also
like to encourage the use of the "analyzed" state where appropriate.

Adding the "patched" state will require modifying the web search form
and script, and doing a sweep to move "feedback" PRs to "patched"
where appropriate.

I will also create and publish a state diagram documenting the
different states and the recommended transitions from one to the
other.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org