Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:06:01 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Global and User package database

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 02:10:57PM -0500, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> Dear All ,
>=20
>=20
> In the new PkgNG :
>=20
> https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/blob/master/pkg/add.c
>=20
>=20
> the following statement is written :
>=20
>         if (geteuid() !=3D 0) {
>                 warnx("adding packages can only be done as root");
>                 return (EX_NOPERM);
>         }
>=20
>=20
> Instead of the above statement , is it possible to use a statement
> as follows ( which it may be defined as a function to be called from all
> the related
> functions / programs ) :
>=20
>=20
>=20
>         if (geteuid() =3D=3D 0) {
>=20
>              package_db_path =3D ... global path name ... , etc. ;
>=20
>=20
>              PKGDB_PLACE  =3D  PKGDB_DEFAULT ...  etc.
>=20
>=20
>         } else
>              {
>=20
>=20
>              package_db_path =3D ... local path name , ie.
>                  in $HOME about user path name ... , etc. ;
>=20
>               PKGDB_PLACE  =3D  PKGDB_USER ... etc.
>=20
>               }
>=20
>         if (pkgdb_open(&db, PKGDB_PLACE) !=3D EPKG_OK) {
>                  return (EX_IOERR);
>         }
>=20
>=20
> ( Replace PKGDB_PLACE by a suitable name ... )
>=20
>=20
> In that way , it will be possible to install packages into user home
> directory ,
> instead of global package directory .
>=20
> For security concerns , user-installed packages will not be usable global=
ly
> , or
> convenient only for the user .
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thank you very much .
>=20
> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

This is an interesting idea, but it deserves more thinking about it, becaus=
e it
could have more impacts.

Could you please fill an issue on the github so that we won't forget the id=
ea
and will be able to discuss it.

I don't think we will propose that feature for 1.0 but maybe it could be
discussed for 2.0 :)

regards,
Bapt

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft