Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:21:45 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: CUPS vs lpt0

--nextPart6586559.O5mHgZn5ZJ

I originally sent this to the CUPS maintainer and got a "that would be=20
nice" reply to the last part, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to=20
do :)

Hi,
Recently I have had trouble using CUPS and I tracked it down to the fact=20
that CUPS [now] appears to access device nodes as a non-root user.=20
Unfortunately this conflicts with the standard permissions=20
for /dev/lpt0.

Do you have an opinion on the correct solution? I have=20
an /etc/devfs.rules file with this in it..
[root=3D100]
add path 'lpt*' group cups mode 660

And have this in /etc/rc.conf..
devfs_system_ruleset=3D"root"

but this is annoying to have to remember to do for a new install.

I wonder if an lpt group should be created by default and then the CUPS=20
user can be a member.

Thanks.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."