Date:      10 Aug 2003 16:18:28 CDT
From:      "Samuel Kesterson" <freebsd-stable@k-labs.com>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange things going on with 4.8

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:27:51 +0000, Daniela said:

> Hi all!
>
>  I'm having problems no end on my 4.8-STABLE box, and I hope you can help me.
>
>  My processes get lots of signals (mostly 6, 10 and 11), and my kernel dumps
>  core very often. I have the core dumps from the 4 latest crashes. See
>  attachment for more info.
>  Notice the common values for IdlePTD and initial pcb. Does this mean anything?
>
>  There are other problems as well:
>
>  1) Some time ago KDE was hanging in disk wait state forever.
>
>  2) When rebuilding the world, make sometimes fails, but when I retry, it
>  either works, or fails elsewhere. I have not seen this on -STABLE, only on
>  5.0-RELEASE (on the same computer).
>
>  3) Programs are frequently closing when they shouldn't, but without any signs
>  that they recieved a signal. I haven't managed to catch one with gdb yet.
>
>  4) X11 (or KDE) locks up very often, only a hard reset brings the OS back.
>
>  5) The absolutely strangest thing I've ever seen happened today:
>  The console screensaver was running, and when I pressed a key, everything
>  locked up (I could not even ping the box).
>  The view was locked to ttyv0, the cursor disappeared. When I tried to switch
>  to another terminal (with ALT + Function key), it either beeped or did
>  nothing. It was completely random, sometimes it beeped, sometimes not.
>

>  I have already tested the memory (no errors). There weren't any problems with
>  4.6-RELEASE on my old box.
>
>  FreeBSD is awesome, but why is it not working for me?
>  Please help me.
>
>  Daniela

	Do you have more memory you can try? How about a power
supply? Maybe you should even rule out the hard drive? I have FBSD
4.8-p1 running on 20+ servers that I can say with (near) 100% certainty
take  more of a beating in a day than your desktop, and they're all solid
as rock.

	Potentially helpful information would include machine hardware
configuration, third party drivers, etc. Basically anything that isn't part of
the base.  Do you get any errors in syslog from the ata subsystem
(assuming you're using ata disks) or anything else for that matter?

	I have been wrong before, but this *really* sounds like a hardware
problem.

--

Sam