Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/37163: syslogd "#!" feature is misleading/can induce unwanted results.

The following reply was made to PR bin/37163; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:58:48 +0100

 On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 04:32:13PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
 > syslogd(8) has a particular "feature" which I feel should be disabled by default.  This feature is documented, but due to the obfuscated nature of the syslog.conf(5) manpage, most system administrators would probably miss this.

 Rather than change the behaviour of syslogd and upset people who
 expect it to work this way, maybe we could edither improve the man
 page or include a comment in the default syslog.conf warning people
 about this feature?

 	David.