Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:15:10 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ECC memory error reporting

On Friday 14 February 2003 01:53 pm, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> > IIRC, one of the problems was that people had a tendancy to do dumb
> > things like lick the brush.
>
> It's only dumb because *you* know that Radium is Bad[tm] for you.

Yes, that was definitely a hind-sight statement. In my early days, I was
asked if I would like to hold a couple of isotope pure buttons of
plutonium that were used to measure cross sections but I wasn't that
curious. It would have been safe to hold because of the containment and
etc. but I still wasn't that curious. So, I have never seen Pu.

> There's been a buncha stuff about Watson and Crick and the 50th
> anniversary of the discovery (demonstration) of the structure
> of DNA.  One of the principal investigators died at the ripe
> age of 37,  the result of her incessant use of X-ray equipment.
> She didn't share the Nobel Prize with the other three folks --
> it isn't awarded posthumously.

I read that article.

> > A WWII battleship is worth its weight in gold because that is the
> > only comon steel that hasn't been contaminated by the atmospheric
> > testing after WWII.
>
> Perhaps you exaggerate?

Not a bit. When it comes time to do whole body counting and such, the
armor plating from the old battleships is used to build the rooms where
the counting is done. Modern material is too contaminated to do some of
the really low level stuff. A bowling friend used such rooms to process
samples of all the rocks brought back from the moon by the Apollo
project.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart