Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 21:40:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, dg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> I think that there is this problem here. You say we don't accept your
> solutions to problem `x'. For everyone else in the universe, to date,
> to accept their solution to `x' we ask for code as we can discuss
> theory until we are blue in the face (and often do), but working code
> (or even semi-working code) is all that really matters to a voluntary
> project like ourselves.

Once again: Richard wants you to accept (or help correct) his definition
of "problem x".  Then he wants to have a definition of "acceptable
soloutions to the class of problems of which "problem x" is a member.

This will allow him to code a soloution which, if you do not backtrack on
your word, will be considered solely on it's ability to solve the
problem, instea of on its implementation details.

> I think maybe if you had a track record of producing good results, we
> would accept proposed solution and give you the reins, but (to my
> memory at least) you are still a relative unknown. So there is (in my
> mind at least) a confidence level yet to be attained for us to accept
> this sort of solution.

Richard does not want the reins.  He wants a roadmap so that he can
go a little ways down the road without having to have someone come back
later and say "that's not the road to Topeka!"... and Richard has already
expended the effort to build Topeka at the end of that road.

A general comment:

It is unprofessional to assume someone is "unprofessional unless proven
otherwise".  The correct default protocol for optimize effective progress
is to assume the other person is acting from a position of good faith.
To do otherwise, and require a "buy in" is cronyism.

I suggest the book "The Evolution of Cooperation", and Douglas Hofstader's
treatment of "The Prisoners Dilemma"; specifically, the strategy called
"modified tit-for-tat with forgiveness starting from an expectation of
good faith".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org