Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2003 05:42:05 -0500
From:      "sektie" <sektie@codersluts.net>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, rsidd@online.fr
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Peeve: why "i386"?

Personally, I don't care.

I'm just about the most OCD person about my computers that I have ever seen
(ex: cvsup ports nightly, if 'pkg_version | grep "<"' returns something more
than two nights in a row, my cell phone gets an SMS). Everything has to be
beautiful and perfect, but I really don't care what the documentation says.
That's for a person more anal than myself to complain about.

However, I do think that switching it from 'i386' to 'x86' wouldn't be that
big a deal. If you know what i386 is, then x86 isn't going to confuse you
(ia-32, eh, not so sure about that one). If you don't know what i386 is,
then I seriously doubt you are going to be looking at anything more complex
than a mac or winxp.

The question isn't "are people going to understand?"; it's "who is going to
put the effort into doing that much work in the documentation?".

More power to ya if ya have the time. Why not do something more useful,
though, like reverse engineer the DLink 520+? I'd give massive hugs to the
person that comes up with drivers for that. Getting rid of that clunky
Linksys and letting my fbsd server be the access point as well would take
care of me having to replace the crossover cable every 2 weeks due to a
teething 2 year old...

Much love,

Randi
sektie@codersluts.net