Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:04:43 -0500
From:      "Abraham T. Rooter" <abe@unix-fu.org>
To:        "Ray Stewart" <monman_2000@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation problems...

Ray,

    I always have to respond to these types of emails when I see them pass
through. Please don't spend your money buying something that is free. Buy
yourself a new gadget or a lot of caffeine(you'll need it during those late
nights :-)). As for your problem, I'd suggest doing some research on packard
bell machines as far as BIOS specifics, proprietary information,etc. I know
some folks were having troubles installing Linux/FreeBSD on some of the
older Compaq's, so it's worth looking into. If all else fails, call up
Packard Bell and ask them what they'd do. "My machine errors and says such
and such when I try to do this and that, what could be wrong?" They'll most
likely have an answer for you(ask for Tier 2 support), or they'll offer to
take the machine in themselves and fix it. Those are basically some of the
best options available that I can think of at the moment. Perhaps someone
else has a more colorful solution.

    Regards,

Kris