Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:09:51 -0801
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Browser and Acrobat Reader problem + solution

I was having this problem with recent Acrobat Reader ports and
mozilla's/firefoxes which exhibited itself by the inability to open PDF
documents from within the browser. Inside the browser (mozilla/firefox) the
`acroread' script is being used as a helper application to open the PDF file.
The error I was seeing indicated that acroread (the Linux binary) was trying
to open /usr/local/lib/libartsdsp.so.0!

After some digging I found the following:

The /usr/local/bin/mozilla script tries to find a /dev/dsp handler; under KDE
it finds and uses artsdsp which sets LD_PRELOAD to something like
/usr/local/lib/libartsdsp.so.0:/usr/local/lib/libartsc.so.0. This of course
doesn't work since a Linux binary (acroread) cannot use FreeBSD DSO's. The fix
is to use a helper script which unsets LD_PRELOAD before starting acroread:

    % cat /usr/local/bin/acroread.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    unset LD_PRELOAD
    exec acroread "$@"