Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2019 09:19:54 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?T=c4=b3l_Coosemans?= <tijl@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Diane Bruce <db@db.net>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeCAD 0.17 && /lib//libgcc_s.so.1

On 2/22/19 6:04 AM, Tijl Coosemans wrote:

>> People like Steve Kargl and me are... puzzled at why FreeBSD would
>> do this to itself.  Having people writing and running custom
>> opensource software on a performant opensource OS is **good**.  We
>> should be enabling them.
>
> If I were the lang/gcc maintainer this -rpath problem would be my number
> one priority.  The current maintainer has never proposed any solutions
> and when I submit patches he always resists.  I'm done wasting my time
> fighting him.
>
> Then threads like this appear every few months.  It's always the same
> people that respond with the same wrong ideas and wrong solutions and
> never providing patches.  I always politely point out what's wrong with
> their ideas and provide patches that do work.  Then they respond with
> the same wrong ideas without even trying my patches.  You can see that
> in this very thread.  Rinse, repeat.
>
> It's a people problem, not a technical problem.  My patches solve the
> technical problem.  I can't help it if people don't pick up the patches.

First, thank you for your efforts!  I'm not blaming anyone, simply
pointing out what this situation looks like for the poor saps trying
to get stuff done.

I'm completely agnostic about how to solve the problem, but right now
the process is:

Average skill user (but technical expert on orthogonal knowledge)
bringing over the sort of codes described here:

https://computation.llnl.gov/projects/spack-hpc-package-manager

Happily spends a bunch of time getting everything built, tries to run,
libgcc_s problem.  Asks on the mailing lists, gets involved in a long
simmering finger pointing situation, with various solutions suggested,
all of which are additional maintenance issues for the
user over time.  That's assuming the average user is going to want
to patch ports, the base OS, or maintain root configuration files.

[Like just about everyone active here I don't have a problem doing this,
  but just about every single scientific code practitioner I've known
  for the last 30 years would say, no thanks.]

> As for Linux, note that in theory the same problem also exists there.
> It's just that most Linux distribution only provide one version of gcc.

Maybe some distros, but at least for debian-testing, I can install any
combo of clang-[678], gcc/g++-[678], and gfortran-[78]

Tools like spack and nix are pretty far down the path of effectively
managing the resulting combinatorial maintenance problem nowadays.

Best regards,
Russell