Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 13:39:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Mike Flanagan <mikenoc@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: using Minicom to get console on another BSD box

At Mon, 13 May 2002 it looks like Mike Flanagan composed:

>  Hello,
>
>  Is there a way to use minicom to attach from the com port on one machine to the
> com port on another machine to get console access ? I have two db9 null connectors
> plugged into the com port of the two machines connected with rj45.

Yep, you should determine if you going to use /dev/cuaa0 (COM1) or
/dev/cuaa1 (COM2) first, I happen to use the latter cuz I've got my
Palm sync connected to the first one.

I personally then created a symlink called /dev/modem, here is my
output from my FreeBSD-4.5 box:

[root@yoga ~]-> ls -al /dev |grep cuaa
crw-rw----   1 uucp      dialer     28, 128 May  2 06:19 cuaa0
crw-rw----   1 uucp      dialer     28, 129 May  2 06:19 cuaa1
crw-rw----   1 uucp      dialer     28, 130 May  2 06:19 cuaa2
crw-rw----   1 uucp      dialer     28, 131 May  2 06:19 cuaa3
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root      wheel           10 May  3 08:31 modem ->
/dev/cuaa1

Anyway the command for the 2nd com port was:

ln -s /dev/cuaa1 /dev/modem

Then I fired up minicom as root:

minicom -s

The I confirmed and set the /dev/modem link.

The I changed the baud rate to 9600.

Then since I use it to connect to my FreeBSD to Sparc box at home I
saved the file as "sun". So to connect to my Sparc box I type:

minicom sun

--
Bill Schoolcraft