Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 22:58:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Eric Chet <ec0@s1.GANet.NET>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flaky reboot problem with this SP3G board

> On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, David Greenman wrote:
> >
> >    Try just pressing "Enter". The machine actually does a 'halt', not a
> > reboot, and it needs a <return> before it will reboot. I don't think virtual
> > console switching works at this stage, either, which explains why the machine
> > appears dead.
>
>     I hit Enter at first, then spacebar, then I tried the switch
> virtual consoles, etc.  But after some more fiddling last night, I
> think it just might be the hardware itself.  The machine was rebooted
> five times after I did the installation last night.  Twice it hung as
> I described, twice it rebooted itself properly and once it cleared the
> screen (as if to reboot) and then stayed there.  After hitting the
> hardware reset, I get a message saying the CMOS checksums don't match
> (or something) and that it was reloading the factory defaults.  Is
> this a bad BIOS revision problem, or bad memory, or what?

This looks like what happened to me on the pre-2.0.5R-snap releases.
On a few of the releases my SP3G did exactly what you described above.
I'm using 2.0.5-950622 right now, I plan on upgrading to 2.1 when it's
released I'm also get a 4.3GB drive at the same time.  Back to your
problem, I saw the same thing with 30% of the snap releases up to
2.0.5R  I have a SP3G with awsg302 BIOS with NCR 03.07.00 NCR bios.
BTW: asus has awsg3041 bios on there server, but I have not tried
them yet.

I hope this helps

     -Eric