Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2003 20:22:36 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Way forward with BIND 8

Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > As most of you are probably already aware, there have been two
> > recent releases of BIND 8. Version 8.3.5 is the "bugfix, and new
> > minor features" release on the 8.3.x branch that we've currently got
> > in the tree already.  8.4.0 is (more or less) the "all the bug fixes
> > from 8.3.5, plus support for IPv6 transport" version.
> >
> > Because there are over 14k lines of diff between the source for 8.3.5 and
> > 8.4.0, I'm hesitant to import the latter right away. Instead, as the
> > nominal BIND maintainer, I'm proposing the following plan:
>
> Ummm...  I hate to beg the question, but why have a nameserver in the
> default installation?  All we need is the client resolver libraries
> and basic CLI programs.  Using DHCP or HTTP as examples: we don't need
> dhcpd in the base, just dhclient, and with HTTP, we don't need apache
> in our base, but we do have/need fetch.  The only reason I can think
> of that that would justify us having the nameserver in our base was if
> our /etc/resolv.conf shipped with 127.0.0.1 as the default
> nameserver... which it doesn't (there is no default resolv.conf, it's
> generated based off of user input!).

I can only support Sean with his proposal. Very wise. That would make:

 -STABLE and 4.9R stay at whatever official update de jour of BIND8.3.

 -CURRENT and 5.1R remove BIND8 from contrib. User will have to
  install from ports whatever pleases him/her (bind8.3, bind8.4, bind9,
  djbdns, maradns, ...).

 -CURRENT and 5.1R import BIND9 Resolver (IPv6 aware if you wish).

> PS It'd probably be wise of us to create a new ports major category
> called "dns" that why all options are easily identified.

Agreed. Such an category has recently, with all these new DNS servers
to choose from, become very useful.

--
Andre