Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:28:49 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        FreeBSD Multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can't Get Sound Card Working

I have a Creative Audigy sound card I'd like to get going on 5.4-STABLE
built a couple of days ago.  I've read the Handbook section on
configuring sound cards.  As such, I'm using the snd_emu10k1 module via
/boot/loader.conf.  The card shows up in dmesg:

pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 4.5 (no driver attached)
pcm0: <Creative Audigy (EMU10K2)> irq 9 at device 9.0 on pci0
pcm0: 0x20 bytes of rid 0x10 res 4 failed.
pcm0: unable to map register space
device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
pci0: <unknown> at device 9.2 (no driver attached)

However I don't have a /dev/dsp device.  Searching Google suggests
checking the contents of /dev/sndstat:

tv# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:

So OK, the fact that I don't have a /dev/dsp and no installed devices in
/dev/sndstat is the problem.  Now, what else can I check to find the
solution?  Google searches have suggested the information from pciconf
-lv is helpful.  Here it is:

pcm0@pci0:9:0:  class=0xff01ff card=0x00000000 chip=0x00041102 rev=0x0b
hdr=0x7f
    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
    device   = 'SoundBlaster Audigy Audigy Audio Processor'
none1@pci0:9:2: class=0x400111 card=0x00000000 chip=0x40011102 rev=0x0a
hdr=0x10
    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
    device   = 'EMU10K2 Audigy IEEE1394 Firewire Controller'

I also see this and it reminds me that I have an audio device on the
motherboard.  However I am 99.9% sure I turned it off via the BIOS settings:

none0@pci0:4:5: class=0x040100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x30581106 rev=0x20
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT8203058 AC97 Audio Codec (All VIA Chipsets)'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio

Any help to get this card working is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse