Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2015 19:47:43 -0400
From:      J David <j.david.lists@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Significant memory leak in 9.3p10?

In our case,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is just a shot in the dark and not a really likely one, but I have had
> issues with Firefox leaking memory badly. I can free the space by killing
> firefox and restarting it.

In our case, we can log in from the console, kill every single
user-mode process on the system except the init, login, and the
console shell, and the memory is not recovered.  Gigabytes and
gigabytes user memory of it are being held by some un-findable
anonymous persistent structure not linked to any process.  Konstantin
proposed that it was some sort of shared memory usage, but there
appears to be no way to check or investigate most types of shared
memory usage on FreeBSD.

> If it is in user space, top should show it under RES.

This is definitely *not* the case.  Whatever is using the memory is
not associated with any user-space process, and does not show up on
top or ps.

It also does not appear to be SysV shared memory, as that reports:

$ ipcs -m

Shared Memory:

T           ID          KEY MODE        OWNER    GROUP

$

Also, kern.ipc.shmmax is only 512MB whereas this problem is consuming
usually 8-10GB.  So I guess the remaining possibilities are anonymous
mmap's that are somehow not associated with any process and Posix
shared memory.  Are there any ways to investigate either possibility?

Thanks!