Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:03:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ICMP REDIRECTs

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Gregory Bond wrote:

> Hi.  We have two routers on our local net.  Only one is our default, of course.
> When I ping a host that is via the other route, I get 2 ICMP REDIRECTs (one for
> the specific host, one for the net) for every outgoing ping packet.
>
> I.e. i'm getting redirects for the second ... nth packets.  I kind-of assumed
> the first redirect would update the local routing tables so that subsequent
> pings would go direct to the correct gateway.  And "netstat -r" does show a
> _host_ entry, but not a _net_ entry.  And another ping to the same host will go
> to the correct gateway, but a ping to another host on the same remote net will
> also elicit 2 REDIRECTS per packet, and install a host route.
>
> I am surprised by 2 elements of this behaviour:
>  - the REDIRECT doesn't affect the route chosen by the current ping process
>  - only the HOST_REDIRECT gets installed in the routing table
>
> Is this the expected behaviour?

I've encountered the same. Keeping arp entries fresh for devices that
do routing minimizes any problems it may cause. A cron job that send
a couple of packets to the routers with ping every five minutes should
help. If the box in question participated with the routers in a routing
protocol the problem should go away. If there are only a couple of
networks some static routes should also fix it.

I may be wrong but I think a redirect for a network is not in compliance
with the RFC.

-

Barrett