Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:04:02 -0700
From:      Seth Kingsley <sethk@meowfishies.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Kuba Lida <kuba@krakow.homeunix.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: ymessenger-0.99.19.1,20020902; broken on 5.1-RELEASE

--i0/AhcQY5QxfSsSZ

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:27:07AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:50:54PM +0200, Volker Stolz wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:02:59PM +0200, Kuba Lida wrote:
> > > The messenger does compile OK, but when trying to launch it, it looks=
 like:
> > > kuba@agma:~$ /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libglib12.so.3:=
 Undefined symbol "getpwuid_r"
> >=20
> > Try: LD_PRELOAD=3D/usr/lib/libc_r.so:/usr/lib/libc.so ymessenger
> > (btw it doesn't compile, the pre-built binary is just extracted)
>=20
> We need to commit something like this, because ymessenger is indeed
> broken on 5.x systems (libglib built on 5.x uses the getpwuid_r symbol
> which is not present in the libc.so.4 compat library used by
> ymessenger).  The problem is that it is a dynamic binary and links
> against third-party libraries that are not present in the compat4x

I also have two reports of people missing stpcpy().  Would it be
possible to link ymessenger.bin against libc.so.5 and then add a small
pre-load library to wrap any missing libc.so.4 calls directly?  This
way, 3rd party libraries would still load normally.  Unfortunately, this
week is very busy at work, and I don't have a pure 5.1 machine to test
with.

--=20
|| Seth Kingsley || sethk@meowfishies.com ||
|| http://www.meowfishies.com/ | Meow ^_^ ||