Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 15:13:46 -0500
From:      Shin Katsumata <skat@flask.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed test

Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Reference:
> > From:         dkelly@hiwaay.net
> > Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:19:02 -0500
>
> Hi,
> dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
> > Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> > >
> > > That should be moderately easy:  Grab lites and get moving...
> > >
> > > I somehow doubt that there are many Mac owners who are into UNIX
> >
> > I've always said, "Gimme a Mac, or gimme Unix, keep the half-baked
> poor excus
>   > e Microsoft boxes to yourself." Maybe I'm 3-sigma?
>
> What does "3-sigma" mean in English ?
> (I'm English not American, perhaps others were puzzled too ?)

1 - sigma is 68.26% of population2 - sigma is 95.44%
3 - sigma is 99.74%

(for those of you who wants to argue, I am getting the number out of a
table for Normal Curve Area for 0 to z and I multiplied the number by
2).

To translate "3-sigma" to semi-English (English is my second language,
ok?), he may be one of 0.13% of population to want either Mac or unix:
(100 - 99.74)/2.0.

Shin