Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:46:58 +0100
From:      Olivier Mueller <om-lists-bsd@omx.ch>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 6.1 with PAE on a recent server (HP DL380 G5 or Dell PE 1950) ?

Bonjour,

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 12:59 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > But of course if you (and Mike Jakubik) strongly suggest it would be a
>  > good idea, why not, I will give a try asap :-)  Any special thing I
>  > should take care of when switching from the i686 kernel to the amd64
>  > one?
>
> The easiest way is to re-install with an /amd64 ISO.

On new servers, sure. But on already active (and in production)
systems?  I guess a make buildkernel is not enought, and
that at least a make buildworld would be necessary?  Or even
some ports?  I can go offline for a few minutes, but certainly
not hours... :)

>  > Will the systems be quicker this way,
>
> When addressing more than 4 GB of physical RAM, a native
> 64bit system is certainly more efficient (hence quicker)
> than the PAE kludge.

Ok, good point. Thanks for your feedback!

regards,
Olivier