Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 06:18:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> OTOH, if you want to install a secure system and don't know what you're
> doing, OpenBSD installs a much more secure configuration out of the box.
> The afterboot(8) man page helps a neophyte administrator figure out what
> they might want to do to continue securing their system.

ROFL!!!  I'm sorry, I realize this you were serious here, but when I read
I almost did fall down laughing.  This part just kills me :

 "if you want to install a secure system and don't know what you're doing
..."

I've found that if you want to install a secure system and don't know what
you are doing, it's not very likely to be secure in the end.  Please don't
get me wrong, I understand you point that OBSD's default install is "more
secure" than FreeBSD (at least for now), but if you don't know what you
are doing, the odds are just way to high that you'll screw something up.

If you don't what you are doing and you want to install a secure system,
you really should start out reading a whole ton of books, work with
someone who does deal with admin'ing from a security perspective, and work
you tail off to come up to speed.

---
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
The Office Of Water Programs - CSU Sacramento