Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 09:45:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        erich@basenet.com (Eric Hester)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: comtrol rocketports

> Hi There,
>
>   I have been running a linux for about a year now at my ISP. I have
> tolerated its instability (minor up until recently) But I have just
> recently started playing with FreeBSD, which I am most impressed with.
> Anyway to the point. I have terminal servers running linux with comtrol
> rocketports. If I am to move to FreeBSD I will have to have comtrol drivers
> for it. I know BSDI supports comtrol.

Yup.

> Is there/

Nope.

> will there be support for rocketports anytime soon?

Only if somebody writes or ports one..

> would it be terribly hard to port either the
> linux or bsdi driver to FreeBSD (Forgive me, but Im still learning FreeBSD
> structure.. it seems terribly similar to BSDI, whcih makes sense)... any
> help is appreciated.

This is an issue that's also near and dear to my heart as I'm looking at
serial port issues (well, I have been for a very long time)...  The Linux
driver is probably not (directly) portable due to what others have described
as fundamental paradigm differences.  It would, however, probably be a great
source of general information.  The BSDI driver, IIRC, is part of the BSDI
distribution rather than being contributed software, so the driver is
probably under BSDI copyright.

For what it's worth, I believe quite strongly that FreeBSD needs support for
these serial port solutions!  Hayes ESP 1 and 8 port (in enhanced mode),
Comtrol Rocketport, etc.  Not everybody can afford the more expensive
offerings from Stallion and Specialix (look at the cost for just 8 ports)..

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968