Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:45:28 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/devel/icu: PTHREAD_LIBS clean

Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 09:06, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> =3D > but library may also be not using threads _at all_. -lm, for exampl=
e, is=20
> =3D > happily used by many threaded programs without itself being thread-=
aware.
> =3D=20
> =3D =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I understand your ideal, think so too. =A0How=
ever, in fact, it is
> =3D =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0unrealistic environment:-(.
>
> Norikatsu, this is not some unreachable ideal (libm is not). If no applic=
ation=20
> is calling into a library from multiple threads in parallel, that library=
=20
> need not be thread-aware.

In that case, it doesn't even need to be thread-safe.  libm is
supposed to be thread-safe, but has no need to be thread-aware.

ICU is different in that not only can it be called from multiple
threads, but those threads can (in theory -- as far as I know, you're
right that nobody uses this capability right now) be interacting.
=20
> You are (slightly) pessimizing your installation by building a thread-awa=
re=20
> ICU without having a need for it...

On the other hand, that could change at any time.=20=20

Think of all the other programmers in the world as independent
threads, that could use the API in new ways...  ;-)