Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 19:06:04 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        andrew@ugh.net.au, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, br@netland.inka.de
Subject:   Re: print.jadetex port doesn't compile

On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 09:41:06AM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> I haven't investigated the failed JadeTeX port build fully, but I'd wager
> that a new version of the tex or the teTeX port must have reduced sizes of
> various tables maintained internally by tex while it runs to build JadeTeX.
> These sizes have worked before for *building* of JadeTeX but needed to be
> modified for the *running* of JadeTeX.
>
> Users on FreeBSD-doc have reported that if you make the modifications
> suggested in /usr/ports/print/jadetex/pkg/MESSAGE *before* building the
> JadeTeX port, it will build (and run) correctly.
>
> I'd recommend that the post-install or patch steps of the tex and teTeX
> ports do this on the user's behalf, unless someone sees a reason otherwise.

Yes.  I'm wary of stomping over another program's defaults though,
particularly when I don't actually know how the various TeX configuration
knobs interact with one another.

Perhaps something like this, in jadetex/Makefile

    IS_INTERACTIVE= "user must set PATCHEDTEX variable"

    .if empty(PATCHEDTEX) && (make(build) || make(install))
    .BEGIN:
            @${CAT} files/PATCHTEX
            @${FALSE}
    .endif

where jadetex/files/PATCHTEX says

    JadeTeX may require you to increase the size of certain defaults in
    TeX before it will build correctly.  We recommend you edit
    $PREFIX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, and ensure that the following
    parameters have values *at least* as high as this.

       hash_extra  = 60000
       pool_size   = 1000000
       max_strings = 70000
       save_size   = 10000

    when you have done this, run "make -DPATCHTEX install" to build and
    install JadeTeX.

and remove the similar text from the post-install MESSAGE.

Having said that, if the teTeX maintainer (who I've cc'd on this) is happy
with it then a patch-aa for teTeX that did this anyway would be a better
approach.