Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Emmanuel Duros <Emmanuel.Duros@sophia.inria.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC 1323 - How to make it work ?

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Emmanuel Duros wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get speed improvement using RFC 1323 to download files
> via a satellite link without much success(!).
>
> I have 2 FreeBSD (2.2.7) boxes (bsd 1 and bsd 2) which are connected via
> a broadcast satellite link and an Ethernet LAN.
>
>             satellite link  6Mbps
>        --------->------------>------------>----------
>        |                                            |
>     -------                                      -------
>     |bsd 1|                                      |bsd 2|
>     -------                                      -------
>        |                                            |
>        ----------------------------------------------
>             Ethernet LAN 10Mbps
>
> Routing is configured in such way:
>
>   - bsd 1 sends packets to bsd 2 via the sat link
>   - bsd 2 send packets to bsd 1 vian the LAN
>
> The RTT is about 270ms.

This is a problem.  Big latency throws TCP for a loop.  Thus why there's a
TCP over Satellite working group.

> When downloading a file (client is bsd 1 and server is bsd 2), the
> maximum data rate I have been able to get on this topology is
> 50-60 Kbytes/s.

Although I don't have my magic network text handy, it sounds about right
for your link.

> Am I doing anything wrong ? I also played with net.inet.tcp.rfc1644
> without success.

I don't think T/TCP is going to help here.  The thing about sat links is
they can aggregate bandwidth well but can't sustain high rates.  This is
also why one ISDN channel can push around more data than a similarly
equipped analog modem.

Doug White