Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:27:49 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de>, Carsten Urbach <Carsten.Urbach@physik.fu-berlin.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpc.lockd and true NFS locks?

* Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com> [001214 16:11] wrote:
> [-current mailing list pruned; I think -hackers is enough]
>
> > I would like to see it in both -current and -stable.
>
> I think that would be wrong, at least given the current state of
> the lockd stuff.
>
> First off, as David himself points out, there are issues with this
> code and we'd be well off dealing with those *before* committing it to
> -stable.  I also don't think that this would be achieved simply by
> having more eyes on it, as you intimate, but by actually having a
> coherent set of code to work on and the Right Developers(tm) hacking
> on it.  I agree with Bill Joy's assertion that all bugs are NOT
> shallow through having enough eyes, as Linus likes to say, but through
> having one or two really bright people practically killing themselves
> to fix them.

My argument against this is that giving ample warning is a far cry
from the Linux mantra "release early, release often, ship the system
with async files, we'll let them know how to not loose data _next_
time".  Here I'm proposing that we be more than honest.

The current fake lockd doesn't even do fake NLMv4 locks (although
there's patches that I did do it so that it would floating around).

It's also a lot harder to find bugs when you're looking at your
own code versus when someone sends you a crashdump because what
they were doing is able to tickle a bug you'd never assume was
possible.

David did say that it pretty much works, and preliminary reports
from a while back started getting him some feedback which quickly
died off after people forgot about the announcement.

> We've also had working NFS lockd code in the BSD/OS tree on builder,
> along with full permission to grab it, for some time now but that
> hasn't made it happen because the right developers have yet to take
> that active an interest.

Actually, that would do us well for the client side, however since
we don't have anyone (so far) from BSD/os to explain the intracate
parts of it, I'd rather see something come in that has someone
familiar with the code rather than something we'd have to grok.

Then again, I should take a look at the BSD/os rpc.lockd one weekend.

David, you have builder access, what do you think about the BSD/os
version?