Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 17:40:29 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        Brian Mitchell <brian@firehouse.net>, Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /usr/local/ports ?

Folks...  I think it's time for a serious reality-check here.

I don't think we're ever going to come to anything even *remotely*
resembling a concensus to change this, so I might respectfully suggest
that we simply kill the subject thread.  /opt?  Never.  /local?  You
gotta be kidding me.  /usr/opt?  Not on your life.

See?  I already hate the counter-proposals discussed so far myself,
and I'm hardly alone - there are many others here who would consider
me a real wimp for using such tame responses as "never" and "not on
your life" when they feel that "you've got to be f***ing kidding me!
No way in *hell*, man!" would be closer to the proper response to
these proposals so far. :-)

/usr/local sucks too, sure, but at least we're used to it and people
have long experience now in administering that location.  Nothing but
a painful and extended flame war would result from an actual change
here, and we'd be complete idiots to voluntarily provoke such an
outcome, so I really don't see the point in all this discussion about
it.

					Jordan