Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:00:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, David Burton <odyseus2000@earthlink.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asus recommendation

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Lanny Baron wrote:

> Hello,
> In my HO, the INTEL (TM) D815EEAL which comes with onboard Intel
> Pro100 as as desktop machine, works extremely well and fast. Uses
> 133 MHZ bus for both ram and cpu and is inexpensive.

Thats just fine for a desktop machine, but I wouldn't use one for a
server.

> IMHO, Asus, SUCKS big time. My pII400 is exactly 1/2 the speed of my PII
> 266 with ASUS boards. Comparing it (Asus vs Intel D815)to a home/office
> system I just built it was a joke to see the increase in perfomance.

Thats funny, since ASUS consistently outperforms every other
motherboard manufacturer in just about every benchmark anywhere that
I've seen.  Some of those benchmarks suck and are meaningless, but
some are good and attempt to be as "real-world" as possible, and the
fact that they take the top of nearly every benchmark (for consumer
boards) that people have thrown at them should tell you something.
Even ASUS has made a bad line of boards, though, so it might just be
the particular model you have, or it could be a misconfiguration on
your part.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )